As Feel Good February draws to a close let’s all take some time out to make others feel good. The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is on a mission to ‘Make Kindness the Norm’ and I’m all for it! To celebrate, I’ve come up with 40 small, fun ways we can be kind to one another and ourselves.
Challenge yourself to complete one of the suggestions below each day for a week. These ideas are so easy and totally rewarding. You might just make someone’s day – and your own day too.
Imagine a world where we can succeed by being nice, where we all look out for each other, where we all pay it forward, and where kindness is the norm.
RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS FOR:
A COMPLETE STRANGER
- Leave a $5 gift card in a library book.
- Tell someone at the gym how FANTASTIC they are looking.
- Donate your pre-loved work clothing to Dress for Success.
- Foster a pet up for adoption.
- Give a positive review online to a local business.
- Give a complete stranger (or your postie) a lotto ticket.
- Provide a local homeless person with a bag of goodies.
- Leave a positive comment on a website or blog.
- Make an inspirational bookmark and leave it in a library book.
- Welcome a neighbour into your street.
FOR A FRIEND OR LOVED ONE
- Read a story (and do the funny voices) for a child.
- Compliment a teammate during your weekly sports game.
- Send a confidence boost to lift someone’s spirits (list their 10 best qualities).
- Give your pet a 10-minute belly rub or head scratch.
- Surprise a random friend with flowers.
- Pop a ‘love note’ in your child’s lunch box.
- Offer to babysit for someone you know.
- Bake something delicious to bring into the office.
- Share a friend’s latest accomplishment on social media.
- Map out your family tree to create pride in your history and bring your relatives together.
Being kind is giving even when it seems like you have nothing to give.
(It’s easier to be kind when you’re feeling great!)
- Organise your wardrobe so that getting dressed is easy.
- Set your goals so that you can achieve your dreams.
- Drink more water to hydrate your body.
- Take time out during the week to visit a favourite spot.
- Start learning a new skill.
- Make time for your exercise routine.
- Make yourself something healthy and nutritious for lunch.
- Understand your personal style so you always feel your best.
- Make a scrapbook of memories and give it to someone special.
- Think of something you are grateful for every day.
FOR OUR PLANET
- Plant a tree.
- Hang your clothes out to dry instead of using the dryer.
- Get yourself a re-useable coffee cup.
- Start a piggy bank to save for a cause you believe in.
- Donate old towels or blankets to an animal shelter.
- Pick up 10 pieces of rubbish in your neighbourhood.
- Stop using toxic chemicals around your home.
- Visit your local zoo with a child to support animal conservation.
- Walk or run for a cause you believe in.
- Turn off your computer every evening for your wallet and the planet.
How easy does that sound? Let’s live and breathe kindness. We have the potential to change the world.
Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.